Vigor 2862Ln & 2862Lac 3G/4G LTE & VDSL Router
The Vigor 2862L Series features the same specification as the standard Vigor2862 product with the addition of built-in 4G (Cellular/LTE) connectivity, compatible with all UK/Ireland cellular networks (apart from 'Relish'). The series includes the Vigor 2862Ln and the Vigor 2862Lac, the difference being 802.11n Wireless LAN vs. 802.11ac dual-band (see full specification tab). If you do not want to use wireless it can be disabled.
The embedded 4G/LTE connectivity provides a self-contained solution as opposed to having to add external/USB modems to your router. A standard SIM slot on the back of the router is secured with a cover to prevent accidental removal (you can leave the cover off if you need easy access).
As well as connectivity to the 4G (LTE) networks, the Vigor 2862L series provides backward compatibility to 3G networks for areas or networks where 4G isn't available. Full function MS message operation also provides additional functionality and control (see later).
Your 3G/4G can provide your sole/primary Internet connection, with optional fallback (backup) to another WAN connection (DSL or Ethernet fed) or 3G/4G can be the backup to your primary DSL/Ethernet connection.
Secondary or backup 3G/4G connectivity, using a second network/SIM can be added by the use of an additional 3G/4G USB modem (not supplied). Check the compatibility list to see which USB modems are supported. Note that an external USB modem is only needed for the second cellular connection - the primary 3G/4G interface and SIM slot is built-in. Alternatively, using Wireless WAN, the Vigor 2862L can derive a secondary WAN (Internet) connection from a WiFi feed - e.g. your mobile phone's hotspot or a temporary mobile provision.
The Vigor 2862L series also provides built-in ADSL/VDSL and Ethernet WAN connectivity for wired (broadband) Internet connections.
Note that the 'Vigor 2862L' series consists of several variants. The built-in cellular features are the same on each, but they have either no built-in WiFi (Vigor 2862L) or 802.11n Wireless (Vigor 2862Ln) or 802.11ac Wireless (Vigor 2860Lac). All other features are the same. The non-wireless model (Vigor 2862L) is available only to special order for project application. Wireless LAN can be disabled on the wireless models or can be ordered factory disabled.
The Vigor 2862L series provides the following features on 3G/4G (in additional to all usual Vigor2862 features):
- Standard-Size SIM Slot
- Sending/Receiving of SMS (Text) messages to Web Interface
- Status Reports & alerts via SMS, and SMS-initiated reboot
- LTE Cat 4 / 3GPP Release 9 with fallback to 3G
- LTE Max Speed : 150/50Mb/s (RX/TX)
- Standard size SIM Slot on with fixed cover
- Unlocked to any network (BT, EE, 3, O2, Vodafone, Eircom)
- LTE (FDD) Bands: 1 (2100Mhz), 3 (1800Mhz), 5 (850Mhz), 7 (2600Mhz), 8 (900Mhz) & 20 (800Mhz)
- LTE (TDD) Bands: 38 (2570-2620 Mhz), 40 (2300 - 2400Mhz) & 41 (2496 - 2690Mhz)
- LTE Bandwidth: 1.4/3/5/10/15/20 Mhz
- LTE Power : Class 3 (23dBm +-2dB)
- LTE Duplex : FDD (Frequency Division), TDD (Time Division)
- UMTS (3G) Bands: 1 (2100MHz), 5 (850Mhz) & 8 (900MHz)
- GSM Bands: 900MHz, 1800MHz
- 3G Data Modes: GPRS/HSDPA/HSPA+
- GPRS MS Output : Class 12
- Included Antennae : Two with magnetic extension bases
- LTE Antenna Connection : SMA Female x 2
The Vigor 2862L series ships with two LTE aerials (antennae) which can rotate and tilt for optimum reception. The included extension bases provide a 1M extension cable to allow optimum positioning, avoiding obstructions, cabinets or equipment. On the wireless LAN-equipped models (Vigor 2862Ln & 2862Lac), there are two additional aerials. The WiFi (outer two, white) and LTE aerials (inner two, black) have different plugs to ensure that that the correct socket is used.
The Vigor 2862L series using 3G/4G cellular connectivity is ideal for:
- Backup to your primary Internet feed (ADSL, cable etc.)
- Providing lower cost broadband than a fixed line solution
- Areas without fixed line broadband access
- Compatible with a wide range of 3G modems/phones
- Temporary Locations
- Mobile Homes
- Locations on the move - coaches, trains
- Fairgrounds & temporary exhibitions
- Outdoor locations (the router and modem itself must be indoors!)
- Disaster Planning & High Availability
Important Note: Please refer to the main Vigor 2862 product page for more details of standard features included in the range. The specification and compatibility listed here applies only to the UK model for use in the UK & Ireland - product code V2862LN-K (802.11n) or V2862LAC-K (802.11ac). For use in other regions, you should ensure that you are buying the model intended for that country and its cellular networks. When purchasing your unit, ensure it matches your region (the outer box is clearly labelled) in order that it has the correct regional network support and compatibility.
Text Message (SMS) Control & Reporting
As a cellular network device, the Vigor 2862L takes advantage of text messaging (SMS) to allow remote interrogation and control. Sending a simple command ('router status') to the router from a regular cellphone will get an instant reply telling you about the router's current status, firmware version, each WAN port's IP address, status and data volumes.
Another command ('router reboot') enables you to reboot the router remotely. For security, the commands require a password and a whitelist can allow messages only from your specified phones preventing unauthorised persons from being able to send rogue commands. See the screenshot on the right for examples.
The Vigor 2862Ln can also send and receive text messages from its web interface; checking incoming messages allows you to read service messages, for example that you are low on credit but it's also a quick way to type a message to anyone else's mobile phone from your web browser. The facility is also useful to confirm your credit balance (for PAYG SIMs) or to use top-up vouchers (where these are accepted by SMS). You can also send text messages from the command line via a telnet connection - more suited for automation/integration.